Have any question about developing blocks for Gutenberg or the Block Editor? We’ve answered the most common Gutenberg questions in the simplest way.Read More
In this post you’ll learn how to:
- Download the source code of WordPress.
- Create a runnable version (build version) of the source code.
If you feel lost among all the development setup needed to create a Gutenberg block, then this guide is for you.
We’ll look in detail at how Create Guten Block can be used to simplify Gutenberg block development. We’ll start by looking at the technical implementation of the tool. Afterwards we’ll use it to create and then customise a sample Gutenberg block.Read More
So I published How To Learn Gutenberg Development, which outlines a roadmap for learning ES6, React, Redux, and Gutenberg. This is a proven, and sure way to master Gutenberg.
But this approach also takes time. In fact several readers have reached out to me expressing that they don’t have time for a long learning process.
With Gutenberg in Core, developers need to be productive with Gutenberg right now.
As a consequence I’ve reworked my initial learning approach, to fit with this short timeframe. The learning process outlined below takes 6 days, or 3 weekends, or 48 hours.
At the end of it, you’ll be able to:
- Adapt existing WordPress themes to work with Gutenberg content.
- Add Gutenberg specific features to themes.
- Understand the basics of React.
- Feel comfortable exploring Gutenberg’s user interface component library.
- Develop custom Gutenberg blocks.